New fire engine for difficult to access urban areas
The Cartagena City Council’s Fire Extinguishing Service, has introduced a light-weight state-of-the art urban fire engine by means of the agreement with the Port Authority.
This concept of an extinguishing and rescue vehicle has already been replicated by different Services including SPEIS Barcelona, SEIS Castellón, SEIS Segovia, SEIS Estepona, and the Formentera Council, and there is an increasing growth in the market for vehicles that provide solutions for entering into the old quarters of the towns.
Francisco Gómez, head of Cartagena’s fire Extinguishing and Civil Protection Services discusses the work carried out.
• What needs have been met by incorporating this vehicle into the Service?
Our service covers different fields of work, from road accidents to extinguishing services in urban areas not to mention rescue services in rural zones. This vehicle will be the first to be deployed and it will be considered as a polyvalent vehicle. We think it will end up being our most used vehicle.
What part of the solution offered by Iturri best meets your needs?
First of all we have set up a technical commission which allows us to monitor the project and this commission has assessed the general manufacturing and construction monitoring processes which have been recommended by Iturri, and I would consider this to be the key to the project’s success.
Perhaps the material they have recommended as well as the construction method used are the most relevant part of the project. Iturri suggested using mono-bloc bodywork constructed using copolymer. I must mention that our Service was already familiar with this product so we were very happy with this suggestion based on the experience we had already had with it. On this occasion, the volume of the bodywork fitted the volume of the cabin, and the bodywork was aligned perfectly on top of the cabin, thus providing a solution for the usual problems of entering into the urban areas. The Renault chassis included in the technical proposal provides an excellent power to weight ratio of close to 24Cv/Tm with a fantastic dynamic performance thanks to a turning radius less than 13.5m and a distance between the axles of just 3,350mm
• What tests were carried out in order to validate the vehicle?
The dynamic and static tests outlined in the Verification section of the UNE 1846-2 regulations already formed part of the obligatory provisions set forth in the Technical Specifications Document, and Iturri carried these tests out in their own test site located in the Seville Factory.
Members of the commission were in attendance and the results were satisfactory. This is a new aspect which we will include in future requests for bids as it will help us to assess the bidder’s proposal based on the results, introducing a requirement that means that they must meet both the values indicated in the successful bidder’s calculations as well as those set forth in the Regulation itself in the case in which those were less.
• Mr. Gómez, can you tell us what other values you considered when analyzing offers and what influenced your decision to purchase this vehicle?
After sales services. As buying advisers, we are accustomed to technically defining a product or service, even valuing its market value in a coherent and correct manner, however it is important to learn more about this. We have to take into consideration all of the maintenance costs which will be necessary during its useful life, and reincorporate these into the purchase cost/ amortization of the days in which the purchased good is inactive or out of use. Our responsibility as the manager of public goods also means that we have to do just that, and the after sales service which has been offered both by the chassis manufacturer and by the manufacturer of the bodywork itself are fundamental aspects The services offered by Renault and Iturri go above and beyond our needs.
SUMMARISED TECHNICAL DESCRIPTION:
• Renault D12 chassis, 4x2 traction, 240Cv with specific chassis for firefighters.
• Optidriver gear box with automatically controlled clutch and gear selector on the wheel.
• Double cabin for 6 occupants with breathing equipment fitted inside.
• Ecopolyfire bodywork with white colour interior cabinets.
• Copolymire 1,500l cistern (1,450 water and 50l type A foam.)
• Mast on a collapsible and telescopic roof with LED spotlights.
• Electric spool on the back with semi-rigid hose.
• Bronze GODIVA P2B-2010 pump with automatic priming by means of piston pumps.
• Automatic pressure regulator with automation control on the TFT screen.
• Electronic and automatic dosage high pressure foam.
• 2800W nominal power sine wave converter.
• Details: Power/Weight ratio =23,52 Cv/Tm.
• Length =6,000mm Width =2,250 Height =2,900 (measured from the ladder)
Other dimensional requirements: Alignment of the bodywork with the cabin both in width and height meaning that the maximum width of the vehicle is limited by the wheels (excluding wing mirrors).