ITURRI Group to supply uniforms to the Navy for the next 3 years
The ITURRI Group has started work on the manufacture of a flight jacket with membrane, as part of the first annual delivery of the Multiannual Clothing Contract 2012-2015. A contract awarded by the Spanish Navy-Ministry of Defence at the end of 2011. The first delivery includes garments such as overalls for armoured vehicles (arid pixelated camouflage flame resistant fabric), the winter flight underwear kit (in sage-green Coolwork fabric), the already classic flame resistant marine jacket (DuPont™ Nomex® fabrics), the polar windstopper jacket (previously supplied) (WINDSTOPPER® “Nemo” by GORE, present in Industry and Emergency projects), vessel wet suit (made of orange RKN with ceramic Cordura) and several garments including the Flight Jacket with membrane.
The flight jacket, used by Navy helicopter and aircraft pilots, is worn during the exterior inspection of the aircraft prior to the flight, and is made from a total of five fabrics, all of which are flame resistant, and which form a protective sandwich against fire, wind and water. A description is given of the five fabrics from the outer shell to the inner lining:
- The outer fabric is a sage-green twill A+Panther PC 185, the new development from Estambril-DuPont™, made from 93% DuPont™ Nomex®, 5% DuPont™ Kevlar® and 2% antistatic fibre.
- The membrane, inserted loose between the outer shell and the lining, is a Diana Comfort 80 AQ, with 12% hydrophilic monolithic polyester.
- The lining is a A+Panther PD 150 fabric, which supports the membrane and is orange-coloured to help to locate the user in the event of an accident, if the user is able to remove the garment and put it back on inside out.
- A new feature of the garment, which the ITURRI Group has supplied to the Navy on other occasions, is the removable thermal barrier. This is a vest, fastened to the jacket by a single zip inside the main garment, made of two layers of orange A+Panther PC 110 fabric filled with flame retardant Thinsulate FR 120 batting.
- Lastly there is the flame resistant ribbed fabric around the cuffs and waist of the garment, DuPont™ Nomex® Comfort N307, 475 grams, with 93% DuPont™ Nomex® in sage green to match the outer shell of the jacket.
Five new flame resistant fabrics in one single very comfortable garment, to protect the pilots of the Spanish Navy against fire and adverse weather conditions.